I am sure westamastaflash will reply to ur query, but in the meantime, since
i am still awake (3 PM here), i thought i will do a good deed before i goto
bed.

try $.periodic(callback, {frequency: 5});

You were using quotes for the options object. That was probably the cause of
the problem

And you mentioned "period" instead of "periodic", and i am sure that was a
typo, coz, u said it works ;-)

-GTG