On Aug 22, 11:42 am, Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> flickering occurs. You can mitigate the flickering problem by making
> sure the elements you add to the dome have a css ('visibility',
> 'hidden') but that still leaves the other problems.

FYI: visibility:hidden is different than visibility:none. 'hidden',
according to Eric Meyers' O'Reilly book, acts as if the element is
still there, but invisible. That is, it's space is still taken up.
visibility:none acts as if the element is not part of the DOM, for
purposes of display. So you can probably get rid of the flickering by
using 'none' instead of 'hidden'.

> So basically, what I'm wondering is, if there is a CSS rule that
> defines an element's parameters,

That's what CSS does - defines the parameters for matching elements.
Not all elements accept all parameters. Not only that, but to match a
rule, an element must exist. i suspect the closest you're going to be
able to get is to use visibility:none, where element exists, but is
treated as if it's outside the DOM for rendering purposes.

> and if no examples of said element
> exist in the DOM yet, would it be possible to get the parameters
> direct from the stylesheet?

AFAIK, most browsers don't directly support scripting the style
sheet(s), though i have heard rumors that Firefox allows us. There
isn't (yet) a standard way to do, though.