On Aug 27, 2:51 pm, motob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Besides file size, what is the difference between a .min and .pack
> version of a js file? I see this a lot with the various plugins and
> jquery library.

A very brief overview of each can be seen here:

http://wanderinghorse.net/computing/javascript/jquery/colorpicker/

Scroll down to the bottom of that page.

> What are the pitfalls and benefits of using each?

The only pitfall i'm aware of is that the packing process occasionally
(very rarely) does something which changes the semantics of a piece of
code (changes its meaning), leading to a bug which isn't there in the
unpacked source. It is impossible for a human to decode the packed
code, so debugging these problems is difficult. The so-called YUI
minifier (see the above link) is newer and works similarly to the
conventional packers, but does not suffer that problem, at least in
theory.