The file browser is an often requested feature, and we're actually
planning an API to do this sort of things.
Anyway, there's an image gallery implementation example, using
jCarousel and CodeIgniter, available at:
http://trac.wymeditor.org/trac/wiki/Contrib/ImageGalleryExample

I'll take a look at thefilebrowser, which looks interesting.