Your success handler will not be called if the request times out.  You
need to use and "error" handler or a "complete" handler.

 var options = {
         beforeSubmit:  showRequest,  // pre-submit callback
         success:       showResponse,  // post-submit callback
         complete:       function(xhr, status) {
             // status == 'timeout' when there is a timeout
         },
         error:       function(xhr, status, ex) {
             // status == 'timeout' when there is a timeout
         },
         dataType: 'json',
         timeout:   10000
 };