That's a nice effect.  I have been trying to do something like that too.
Microsoft does a very similar thing.
Some helpful plugins to check out:
1. Hoverintent.  Slows down the interaction to make sure the user intended
to mouseover.http://cherne.net/brian/resources/jquery.hoverIntent.html
2. ClueTip.  Shows one example of popup hovers like that.
http://examples.learningjquery.com/62/demo/

There may be other plugins that help.  I am interested in this if you nail
it.

Glen