I've worked with Safari quite a bit. If that's the problem you're
having then it's a refresh issue. Sometimes Safari will "forget" to
refresh the page layout, even though you've just made changes to the
classes of elements.

To get around it do something that changes the actual structure of the
DOM, such as (untested):

    $('<b></b>').appendTo('body').remove();

Karl Rudd