I'm finding that the Dimensions plugin sometimes doesn't return the "top"
position of an element, just returns zero. (Sometimes works perfectly
though.)

Here is my code, sanitized for the forum software.

// Finds the height that an element should be to be X number of pixels from
the
// bottom of the window using JQuery Dimensions plugin.
f...n findHeight elem, bottomPad
    var height = 0;
    var windowHeight = $(window).height();
    var elemOffset = $(elem).offset();
    var elementTop = elemOffset['top'];
    height = windowHeight - elementTop - bottomPad;
    return height;

What happens is that sometimes the elemOffset just turns out to be 0, 0, 0,
0 even though the element is pushed down in the window. I've tried setting
"relativeTo body" but that doesn't help.

Background: I'm trying to the bottom of some element is always 20 px from
the bottom of the window. I don't want to use absolute positioning on this
particular element because that would mess up a bunch of other things. I'm
trying to calculate element height that would put the bottom where I want
it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!