To answer those questions about how I intededed it could be used.

The beauty of it is that if you stick to CSS3 selectors then your CSS
will still be a valid CSS file, this means that browsers should still
read it and apply all the selectors that it understands and then the
JS can fill in the gaps. So I very much recommend having functional
CSS without this and then layering this on top as a form of
progressive enhancement.

With regards to putting JSS styles all in a separate stylesheet,
technically this is possible but I built the plugin so that you can
mix and match without having to worry about taking this extra step.

@Glen - yep. I believe jQuery has support for chaining class names so
it should handle that problem just fine.

@Andrea - Originally this plug-in was made because a colleague was
writing a spider monkey script to skin Gmail and effectively the
script was full of $().css() to get to the elements they needed in a
reliable way. The plug-in was a solution to that problem which allowed
him to express the styles using pure CSS. Following on from this it
was abstracted out to make it more generally work with any page and
valid CSS file. I'm sure there are millions of uses for it but when
used correctly it is the kind of plug-in that the end user should
never need to know about.

Thanks for the positive feedback so far, if anyone finds any bugs or
issues I'd love to know so I can get a stable version together in the
next little while.

Regards
Andy.