I've had quite a few clients trying to put music on their
homepage, but none of mine would be served well by having
music.  I have a site that's in development that uses a
splash page.  Except for a few new announcement titles, it's
only for visual effect... music would work there.

I think the only instance where non-stop music works is on
a page such as jingleads.com, where it's a splash page for
visual effects and image-building only.

But if I were to put music on a splash page, I would definitely
make sure site visitors could avoid that page after getting into
the site.  It would be highly annoying to have to go back to
that page to navigate to another part of the site, even if for a
brief moment.  With every visit, the music would probably become
more annoying until a visitor would be eager to leave to site to
avoid the music.

Rick