> From: Leandro Vieira Pinho
>
> Since jQuery 1.1.4 the code library begins with that:
>
> (function(){
> })();
>
> I would like to kwon, what´s the name of that sintax.
>
> I have found some information in Plugins/Authoring in Custom
> Alias sections. But, I would like to read more about it. But
> what´s the name?

There isn't really a name for that entire thing. It's an anonymous function
that is defined and called immediately.

The purpose of it is to provide a local scope for variables and functions.
Let's break it down:

function(){/*code*/} is an anonymous function.

You call a function by putting () after it, of course. But this is a syntax
error for obscure reasons:

function(){/*code*/}();

However, throw some parentheses around the anonymous function:

(function(){/*code*/})

and now you have something that you can call by adding parens afterward:

(function(){/*code*/})();

By creating and calling a function, any "var" statements or function
definitions inside that function are local to the function.

-Mike