Karl Swedberg wrote:
5] Consider adding a top/bottom arrow pointer for use with positionBy:'bottomTop'.

Added! :-) Already had this working, but forgot to upload the new images and the updated css file to the server.
I see it working on the demo site -- now you just need to release it on jQuery plugins site :) In the meantime, I grabbed it from the site.

6] The left/right arrow appears very specific to putting the arrow in the top left/right corners. It would be nice to be able to put the arrow in the center, so it might be used in conjunction with the bubble type style.

One way to do this might be to provide a means of replacing the tl.gif and bl.gif classes with their top/bottom or left/right equivalents. This would fix [5] as well.

Hmmm. The code is supposed to adjust the background position of the clue-left-[theme name] and clue-right-[theme name] classes so that the arrows will point to the invoking element even if the tooltip is adjusted upwards. However, the rounded corners css, specifically the background images, might make it difficult to implement arrows with it. I'm not sure where to go with this one. But maybe since I added support for #5, this is already a possibility?
I *think* what you've done on [5] addresses this.

--- *Possible Bugs* ---
7] positionBy 'auto' appears not to work. The hint does not seem to accommodate the viewport scrolling. The other positioning methods work fine though. (I'm using the latest dimensions -- the one provided in the clueTip download.)

The only time I have heard of this breaking is when the plugin has been used with the latest Dimensions plugin in svn, not the one that comes with the clueTip download bundle. But maybe there is a problem on a particular browser that I'm not aware of yet.
Could you please do 2 things for me?
1. tell me which browser you're using
Firefox 2.0.0.8

2. test the examples at http://plugins.learningjquery.com/cluetip/demo/ and let me know if you encounter the problem there as well.
I do not see any errors on the demo site.

There *seems* to be a pattern where the elements are floated, it causes the problem -- I'm not 100% sure of this though.

The problem is odd in that there seems to be a relationship between where the hint last appeared, and where it is displayed for a subsequent element.

There are some elements on the page where the hint is consistently shown in the correct place (the element is non-floated, but lives within floated elements). If I then hover over a 'broken' element, the hint appears in the same 'top' position as the prior correctly shown hint; the left position is probably correct.

Now, it gets stranger... if I hover over another element with the same class as the prior 'broken' element, the tip shows in the exact same location as the last 'broken' element, even though the two targets have very different 'top' positions.

And finally, if I scroll one of the broken elements to the bottom of the viewport, the hint appears in the correct top position.

Hope that helps :)

btw, I switched to positionBy:'bottomTop', so this is not a problem for me right now. I'm happy to continue to help track the problem down though.

8] When shrinking the window, the hint for elements on the right side gets moved over to the center of the window, too far from the target element.

I haven't come across this one before, but I'll play around with resizing and see if I can find/solve the problem.

I suspect it's related to [7].

 ~ ~ David