Thanks for all the help. I got it to work.

I tried the $(this).next trick before but for some reason it didn't
work (I had the hidden text in a separate td).
Now it works how I want it except for one small problem.

I decided to change the click to a hover so I now have:
$(document).ready(function(){
     $('div.hidden').hide();
     $('img.hidden').mouseover(function() {
          $(this).next('div.hidden').show();
     });
     $('img.hidden').mouseout(function() {
          window.setTimeout($(this).next('div.hidden').hide(),3000);
The text appears on mouseover and disappears on mouseout, but I want
there to be a delay between the time the user moves the mouse out of
the image and the hidden text disappearing.

What am I doing wrong?