Is there a relatively simple plugin that takes advantage of jQuerys
"expando management" that anyone can recommend as an example?

The most promising information I have discovered is in the release
notes of jQuery 1.2 where John mentions jQuery.data() : <http://
docs.jquery.com/Release:jQuery_1.2/Internals#Expando_Management>

Lacking a working example, I have been unable to get it to work - at
least not yet.

The term Expando is new to me too!