Sometimes IE does not make a new element available while the current
script block is still running. If you give it a breather then it can
catch up. This is most noticable when dealing with <select> elements.

Hence something like this may help (after appending the element)

window.setTimeout(function(){  jQuery('.container .item').each(...) },
0);

Failing that does it make a difference to move the .show() to after
the .appendTo()

Also, If the item element has any child elements then you'll need to
use .clone(true) instead.

George

PS: One other thing... using the :first selector could save you a line
of code, eg: jQuery('.container .item:first')

On Nov 4, 1:32 am, Alexander Alexandrov