Yes, they have a very advanced photo tagging app. You are right they
must be storing metadata into the database. But just for starters...if
a jQuery plugin would just let you hover+click on a picture to add a
tag on it then storing the data into the database using JSON can be
achieved easily I think.

I'm very new to jQuery so dont know where to begin, but if someone
does decide to take this idea on...I'd be willing to help in any way i
can.