I truly want to help in a detailed way, but you asked too many questions. :)

*Where to start:* http://docs.jquery.com/Main_Page
*Plugins:* http://jquery.com/plugins/
*Tutorial Blog: *http://www.learningjQuery.com (also a book)
*Some basic samples:* http://www.commadot.com/jquery

Take a few moments to peruse those pages and you will find it answers most
of your questions.

Glen

PS.  The first one sounds like the autocomple plugin.
http://bassistance.de/jquery-plugins/jquery-plugin-autocomplete/