Thanks for your reply but it doesn't work.
I'm using the form plugin with its ajaxForm method so I have these
options :
    var pdoptions = { target: '#pdresult', success:
hidediv('pdresult')};
and I bind them to the form with :
    $('#pdform').ajaxForm(pdoptions);

the hidediv function contains the code you gave me :
function hidediv(name) {
setTimeout(function(){ $('#'+name).fadeOut('slow'); }, 2000);
};

But with all that, the hidediv function is executed as soon as I load
the page with the form
and I can see my empty 'pdresult' div disappear...

So, to sum things up, I would say that I need the CONTENT of the div
to be faded out a few seconds
AFTER the form has been succesfully submitted      :)

Thanks again.