Almost found the solution...
You were right about the use of success: fadeOutResponse.
I had tried success: fadeOutResponse() and believe it or not it
doesn't produce
the same result !
I don't know why but when I use success: fadeOutResponse() the
function is
executed as soon as I load the page. (Without the () it works and the
function
is executed when the form is submitted succesfully).
BUT this means that I cannot make this fadeOutResponse function work
for
any div I would like to hide. fadeOutResponse(#anyelement) is executed
when
the page is loaded.

I would obviously like to avoid having one function per div I have to
hide so do you
think there is a solution ?

Thanks.