> I thought the cascading selectors would have chosen the dp_properties
> class that is the first child level of the selected div. . .not the
> dp_properties class buried two levels down (but appearing first in the
> DOM listing).

jQuery selectors work pretty much the same way they do in CSS.

This selects all *descendants* of #mydiv that have class .myclass:

  #mydiv .myclass

This selects all *immediate children* of #mydiv that have
class .myclass:

  #mydiv > .myclass

The "#395 .dp_properties" selector finds two divs and you are only
alerting the dp_id value of the first one.

Also, in a valid HTML4 document, ids can't start with a digit and
there is no dp_id attribute on divs. Invalid HTML may not work on all
browsers.

http://validator.w3.org/