I think the problem is when loading from a local file the Content-Type
isn't set to "text/xml" so IE doesn't bother to parse it.

One possible work around is to load it as text in IE and then parse it
yourself like:

 $.ajax({
             url: "data.xml",
             async: false,
             dataType: ($.browser.msie) ? "text" : "xml",
             success: function (data) {
                              var xml;
                              if (typeof data == 'string') {
                                xml = new