Shawn,

Bravo! This is an excellent idea.You know, this is the sort of thing
that makes jQuery stand out from the pack of other frameworks/
libraries. Getting started with any framework presents a significant
hurdle, and most seem to think publishing an API is sufficient. APIs
are necessary for reference, when you know the command and just need
the syntax specifics. Great for advanced users, or even those
transitioning from another framework. But they are confusing and
overwhelming for beginners. Tutorials are a good first step, and there
are a few for jQuery, but they could still use improvement. Books can
cover the whole spectrum, but they make it hard to located specific
tasks, grow out of date quickly and, frankly, many people just don't
want to shell out the bucks and won't read them cover-to-cover. Howtos
fit nicely between a tutorial and the API.

I can't count how many times I've seen comments on other frameworks'
lists like "just read the API" or "you need to learn Javascript."
Those are so discouraging and send the message that newbies aren't
welcome. Telling people to "just read the API" is like expecting
people trying to learn english to just read a dictionary.

Howtos are perfect for people who know the basics (e.g. through a
tutorial or book) but need to quickly find out how to perform a
specific task. I think there are a lot of people who aren't building
full-blown Ajax applications and aren't zealous OO fanboys. Many of us
work primarily with server-side environments and just need small bits
of client-side functionality here and there to finish out an
application. That's exactly where a list of Howtos is perfect.

So, again, I think you have a fantastic idea there. I really hope it
takes off, and I, too, would love to see this added to the jQuery
site. Don't worry about repeating information that may be available
elsewhere. Just focus on keeping the tasks atomic and making it super
fast and well organized to find what you you need at the moment. A
sugggestion would be to add a Tips & Tricks section.

Larry