Alexey,

Ah, yes! It probably is asynchronous! I should've thought of that. I
restructured the code to look like this:

$(document).ready(function() {
    $("a").click(function() {
    var coursename = $(this)[0].attributes['coursename'].nodeValue;
    var mydata = $.get("http://localhost:8080/course/"; + coursename +
"/", {}, function(mydata) {
               var str1 = mydata.substring(5,7);
               var textAreaNode=document.getElementById('test');
               textAreaNode.value += str1;
               return false;
               });
       return false;

It works. I'm not sure what you're suggesting when you say that I
should populate the textarea before assigning to str1, as str1 was
what I was populating the textarea with. Regardless, it works, and I'm
happy. Thanks.