Your solution is okay providing you don't have many links to maintain.
If at some point you need to change a url you (or whoever has the job)
will have to make the change in two places. Given a bit of time this
kind of thing is very easy to forget!

Anyway, that's enough pimping of my own plugin :) Good to see you got
some jQuery magic working for you.