I'm not an AJAX guru, but it looks like the pageNumber variable is
local to each of your click functions and won't be seen by the
showResponse function.
Make it global (actually, local to the document.ready function):

$(document).ready(function(){
  var pageNumber;  // local variable in this document.ready function
...other stuff..
  function showResponse(responseText, statusText)  {
    $("body").addClass("curAuto");
    $('div#adv_content').load('inc/de.application.adv.inc.php?
page='+pageNumber); // showResponse doesn't have its own pageNumber
variable, so it uses the enclosing function's one. This is called a
closure.
   }

  $('#step1').click(function(){
    pageNumber = '0'; // note: no 'var' ! So no local pageNumber
variable, so it uses the enclosing function's one. The same one that
showResponse will use later! A little bit of Javascript magic.
    $('#myform').ajaxSubmit(options);
    return false;
  });