Just a quick note to let you all know that I managed to get the plugin working with nested tags. See it in action in the first example on the demo page.

http://plugins.learningjquery.com/expander/demo.html

The code is still kind of sloppy; I just wanted to get it to work. I'll revisit it later and try to optimize it a bit. Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Cheers,

--Karl