---------- Original Message ----------
To:  Jquery-en (jquery-en@googlegroups.com)
From: Fabien Meghazi ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Hi Fabien,

in fact i need to benchmark the setting as a whole so my mail was a bit
misleading: i think i need to test some manipulation, time it, and if the
timing goes beyond a given value, serve a reduced_effects.js file instead of
the full_effects.js file :)

i'll do some tests. If i come up with something useful for the community, i'll
hit back in !

Subject: [jQuery] Re: OT: how to benchmark user hardware?
Date: 22/1/2008 13:18:31

> 1/ detect user setup or perform some tests, to determine the available CPU,
> graphic Card, RAM, browser,OS. It may not even be necessary to know these
> datas, if we run a test that just tells us if the end user specs are speedy
> or not.
> 2/ send a different javscript file according to the results of the benchmark.
>
> Has anyone done somethiing similaror have any thought about this?

You won't be able to determine gfx card, ram, etc... in javascript.
(except for the window size)
You can find the browser and os in the user agent, see $.browser or
this plugin :
http://davecardwell.co.uk/javascript/jquery/plugins/jquery-browserdetect/

As for the CPU benchmark I had some old links in my bookmarks :

The first one is in french. I think it's not accurate at all
http://www.toutjavascript.com/main/script.php3?url=evalcpu

And there was another called BenchJS but the link is down. Maybe you
should google about this one.

But keep in mind that theoretically, there's no such as thing as
hardware detection in javascript browser's implementation. (for the
moment)

--
Fabien Meghazi

Website: http://www.amigrave.com
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Alexandre Plennevaux - LAb[au] asbl.vzw / MediaRuimte
  Lakensestraat/Rue de Laeken 104
  B-1000 Brussel-Bruxelles-Brussels
  Belgie-Belgique-Belgium
Tel:+32(0)2.219.65.55
  Fax:+32(0)2.426.69.86
  Mobile:+32(0)476.23.21.42
  http://www.lab-au.com
  http://www.mediaruimte.be
The
    information in this e-mail is intended only for the addressee named above.
  If you are not that addressee, please note that any disclosure, distribution
or
  copying of this e-mail is prohibited.
  Because e-mail can be electronically altered, the integrity of this
communication
  cannot be guaranteed.