I'm not 100% sure what you're try to do, but here's what I might do:

UI.dsAnchor = function(UI.item, UI.sortBy){

  $.get("projects/datascapes.xml", function(xmlData){

      return $(xmlData).find(UI.sortBy+'[title="' + UI.sortBy + '"]//
item:contains("' + UI.item + '")');

I have no idea if that'll work, but it's what I might try first. :)