OK, finally...

http://monovisiondesign.com/client/jquery/validate-url/form.php  (I've
got another problem with PHP config in that my script isn't connecting
on this server, but it should still return false and cause an error on
the form).  The markup for the form is here:
http://darthead.pastebin.com/f644fcf6b

After an initial wrong URL the remote method appears to be firing on
every keystroke if you look at the log.  I thought it was only
supposed to fire on blur?

http://monovisiondesign.com/client/jquery/validate-url/includes/log.txt

And on focus isn't the error message supposed to go away until the
element is blurred again?

Thanks for your help and what looks like a great plugin!  I'm probably
trying to do too much too early in my jQuery career and I'm maybe
missing something trivial.  I was wondering if the format of the true
or false response from the PHP script was not being read as boolean,
but as a string.  I also think I saw that the request or response was
JSON, which I don't know anything about, so it's possible my script is
not giving your plugin what it wants.

And, btw, there's another post about this that you've probably already
answered, but the email validation doesn't check for a TLD.