Thanks for your reply. I was using the compressed version of 2.01
(with all transitions). I thought that I'd fixed the problem yesterday
by switching to the uncompressed version. It did fix it, but just now
I tried the latest (2.09) compressed version and it also works. So I
guess there was a bug in 2.01 in particular and it's fixed in 2.09. I
didn't notice that my version wasn't the latest until you asked the
question. What confused me was that I thought that it had been working
before, but now I believe that I was just misremembering things again.