> Thanks for your reply. I was using the compressed version of 2.01
> (with all transitions). I thought that I'd fixed the problem yesterday
> by switching to the uncompressed version. It did fix it, but just now
> I tried the latest (2.09) compressed version and it also works. So I
> guess there was a bug in 2.01 in particular and it's fixed in 2.09. I
> didn't notice that my version wasn't the latest until you asked the
> question. What confused me was that I thought that it had been working
> before, but now I believe that I was just misremembering things again.

No, you weren't mistaken.  The random code sort-of worked in earlier
versions, just not very well.  Henri Médot sent me a  fix recently and I
added it to version v2.07.  I try to keep the change log in sync with each
release - you can find it here:

http://malsup.com/jquery/cycle/changes.txt

Cheers!

Mike