I have a complex form that uses ajaxSubmit (see code below). The form
takes awhile to process and I'd like to display a loading message or
the code below to accomplish this. The message or gif should appear in
the #container div.

var v = jQuery("#two").validate({
                        submitHandler: function(form) {
                                jQuery(form).ajaxSubmit({
                                        target: "#ajax",
                                        resetForm: "true"
                                });
                        },
                        debug: "false",
                        errorContainer: container,
                        errorLabelContainer: $("ol", container),
                        wrapper: 'li',
                        event: "keyup"
                });

I have tried adding the following which shows the loading gif, but
does not display the result from the action page in the ajax div :

$("#container").ajaxStart(function(){ $(this).show(); }).ajaxStop
(function(){ $(this).hide(); });

If I just use the following I get the loading gif in the container div
and the result in the ajax div, but the loading gif does not disappear
when the ajax div finishes loading:

$("#container").ajaxStart(function(){ $(this).show(); });

Thanks.