I've just barely started getting my feet wet with jquery, so please
bear with this novice's question...

With a javascript function you can accept vars like this:

function doSomething(number, name) {
//Do something with them
}

>From an href in the HTML like this:

But I have no idea how this is accomplished with jquery as it all
seems "internal" to itself (seemingly dealing only with identifying
HTML tags, ids, and classes, and not user-supplied vars). I'm sure I'm
wrong on this...

I had started to build out a page that will be using multiple show/
hide toggles for individual divs/ids and the jquery examples I was
finding all seemed more long-winded than just using my original
javascript function, so I'm hoping that this would considerably
simplify the process, but, more importantly, keep it native to
jquery's functions.

Any suggestions?