On Feb 15, 11:46 am, "Rick Faircloth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> The Internet, even as many forms of media as it employs, simply cannot
> be for everyone, as the radio cannot accommodate the deaf and TV cannot
> accommodate the blind.

The problem is that because it is at its base a stream of text, and
because it is a breeding ground for new technologies, the World Wide
Web _can_ be accessible to just about everyone. Without special
accommodations.

Following current best practices (starting with content, then adding
style and behavior on top of that) goes a long way toward
accessibility.

(Also, keep in mind that accessibility isn't only for the benefit of
people with disabilities: Having an accessible site is one of the most
robust search engine optimization strategies.)

Yes, absolute universal accessibility is impossible. There will always
be that one guy who is deaf-blind and only speaks an obscure
indigenous Indonesian sign language, and the cost of getting the
message to him will often far outweigh the benefit. But the things we
can do right now with minimal extra effort (and a good deal of
foresight) can make the Web one of the most accessible communication
platforms around.

Oh, and TV can accommodate the blind:
http://main.wgbh.org/wgbh/pages/mag/services/description/

> And I believe that for people with poor eyesight (and as I age, mine
> is getting worse) a "screen magnifier" is a better overall solution than
> simple text-enlargement.
>
> I want and need to be able to view photographs and graphics on the screen,
> not just read about them or have them described to me by a screen reader.

I think the biggest drawback of screen magnifiers is that they
inevitably require horizontal scrolling, which, aside from being
annoying as all get out, can make it difficult or impossible to get
one's bearings on a Web page. There are pluses and minuses to
everything.

--Chris