var loader = $('div.ajaxloader').fadeIn(500)

$('#ajax-placeholder').load('/content_to_load.php', function(){
// This is a callback function
loader.fadeOut(500)
})

Something like that.

The div.ajaxloader is for you to style correctly with css to make it
appear in the middle of the page, or wherever you wan't it.
Just a basic example

/ Johan