If you haven't already, I would recommend taking a look at the selectables
plugin:

http://docs.jquery.com/UI/Selectables

http://dev.jquery.com/view/trunk/ui/demos/ui.selectable.html

It seems like a good fit. You can have each hour/quarter hour/day be
selectable and allow for drag to select a range/region of time.

- Richard