I made a slight error in my previous solution. on my add a comment
function apparently I thought I didn't need the livequery plugin, but
I was wrong.    So you need to load the livequery plugin for jquery and
then add this jQuery.livequery.run();   towards the end of the
add_comment function.  This statement causes the DOM to be reloaded
and be seen by jquery for the new elements that were added with the
load routine.

//add a comment
        function add_comment(CommentId)  {
new jQuery('#addcomment'+CommentId).hide().load('/comments/
add_comment/'+CommentId,
 {},
 function() { jQuery(this).slideDown('fast'); }
);
                jQuery.livequery.run();
                                return false;
                }