i made it, here is the code if someone is interested:

function display(s) {
 $('#display').html(s);
};

function mycarousel_itemFirstInCallback(carousel, item, idx, state) {
    display( idx +"<i> of </i>"+ mycarousel_itemList.length);
};

jQuery(document).ready(function() {
    jQuery('#mycarousel').jcarousel({
        size: mycarousel_itemList.length,
         wrap: 'last',
         itemFirstInCallback:mycarousel_itemFirstInCallback,
        itemLoadCallback: {onBeforeAnimation:
mycarousel_itemLoadCallback}

then include the div with "display" id in the html part