Hi, Karl.

No worries.  I'm just impressed that someone as busy as you gets back
to us on these issues at all.  Thank you!

Hm.  Perhaps I wasn't clear on what I was trying to accomplish.
Probably either filter or find would be fine.  What I'm looking for is
how to target the specific div on the ajax html page that matches the
class on the cluetips link.  To be clear, I'd like to just have one
page of ajax info, rather than a different page for each cluetip
link.  Then cluetip would just find the info that matches the link's
class.

This (copied from the code in my first post) works just fine: data=$
(data).filter('.tip_1');
But I would have to do that for each cluetip link on the page (and
there are several).  What I need is this: data=$(data).filter('<some
variable that finds the matching div on the ajax page before
populating the cluetip>');

So
my_cluetip_page.html
ajax_info_page.html
<a class="tips_1" rel="ajax.htm">Here's my cluetip link 1</a>      --
<a class="tips_1" rel="ajax.htm">Here's my cluetip link 2</a>      --

Does that make sense?