For some reason, Internet Explorer doesn't seem to like the attr()
function.

// switch all tabs with the class 'active' off
$(".active").attr({ class: "tab" });

// switch *this* tab to have the 'active' class
$(this).attr({class:"tab active"});

Changing it to

// switch all tabs with the class 'active' off
$(".active").toggleClass("highlight");

// switch *this* tab to have the 'active' class
$(this).addClass("active");

seems to be the trick :o)

At least it works in my Internet Explorer 7 now.