Hey, that's progress! I'm still getting the hour glass too, but the flicker
is gone. It seemed before like the constantly being blocked and unblocked in
rapid succession. Now, it looks just right, except that I don't like the
hour glass. But I think I can show it to my client like this.

Any further assistance would be much appreciated. If anyone can figure out
how to get rid of the hour glass, that'd be great.

Here's what the code looks like now:
// change message border
$.blockUI.defaults.css.border = '0px solid red';
$.blockUI.defaults.css.cursor = 'default'; // I'm just assuming that this
will work.

// make fadeOut effect shorter
$.blockUI.defaults.fadeOut = 400;

$(".thumb").hover(function() {
       // MOUSEOVER HERE
    $(this).block({
        message: $(this).attr("alt"),
        css: {
            padding:        0,
            margin:         0,
            width:          '100%',
            top:            '40%',
            left:           '35%',
            textAlign:      'center',
            color:          '#FF0000',
            cursor:         'default', // but just in case it didn't work
above, i set it here too...
            backgroundColor:'transparent',
            fontWeight:        'bold'
        },