Hey John. Welcome to jQuery. I'm not much of an expert by any means,
but thought I'd try to help.

Firstly - and this may be unrelated - but you have some strangely
formatted <p> tags there. Do you mean to wrap them around your
paragraph content instead of self-closing them before the content? ie.

Secondly, is the a.html file in the same location as your main page?

Lastly, try and install Firebug if you're using Firefox. It'll show
you exactly what you're sending and receiving on your AJAX calls.

Hope that helps a bit.

Adam