I like the way Mozilla handles their Add-ons site.  They recommend a
certain number for each category, put main recommendations on the
"front page" for those categories under a very prominent search box,
and then offer links to browse all add ons by popularity, rating, last
updated, or all recommended.

e.g.  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:1/cat:5

Right now jQuery's plugin site offers browsing by category, name and
date only.  Honestly if search is prominent, browsing by name is
irrelevant, and sorting by date is far less useful than sorting by
popularity or rating.   Having recommendations in each category would
also be great, though that would take some regular human editorial.

I think copying their model as much as possible would be a very good
thing.