If you want code to execute before the page is ready, the you should
just inline it in your <script> tag. Note that you won't be able to
access or modify any DOM component of the page, all you can do is
append some new DOM nodes at the beginning.

<head>
<script src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.min.js";></script>
</head>
<script>
var $wait = $('body').prepend('<p id="loading">Loading...</p>');
$(document).ready(function(){ $wait.remove() });
</script>

Ugly and untested code :)