Hi guys, thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delay in
responding.

I see that didn't clearly state the context of my problem.

I want to use jQuery to simulate mouse clicks for many different HTML
elements (not just form submit buttons). My test shows that
jQuery.click() doesn't give same results as a real click.

Here's the code from my test:

<form action="javascript:alert('browser submit handler')">
  <input type='submit' value="Cook hamster"></input>
</form>
$('form').submit(function() { alert('jquery submit handler'); });

$('input[type=submit]').click();

So when click() is called I expect both jquery and browser handlers to
fire, but in fact only the browser handler fires.
A real mouse click causes both to fire.

Can anybody explain this difference? Should I file a bug?
regards,
--Will