I've previously implemented table row show/hide in a production app,
so I went back to check - the main difference between your code and
mine was that you're using 'slow' in your toggle() statement.  When I
eliminated that and just used toggle() (or show() / hide() ), your
jQuery code seems to work fine.  Maybe this is a bug in the
implementation of display effects for table rows?