Hi,

I made patch against superfish-1.4.8, which fixes your problem and
adds desired functionality. We are using it in company intranet and it
looks like working well with some minor issues. Any further sugestions
or code improvements will be appreciated.

You can find my patch on http://plugins.jquery.com/node/3967

jarda