When write:
$('#' + id + ' img').attr("src", "images/favorites.png");
… it works.
alert (msg) says "favorites".

There must be something wrong with msg. If the variable is defined
before var favimg = "favorites"; and I insert favimg it works just
fine.

What could be wrong with msg? msg is what I echo back in my PHP code.
I don't know if this is the appropriate way.