No one could possibly have any idea what's wrong there (other than a lucky
guess), because we're not seeing your actual code.

Forget about PHP for the moment and look at what you get back from a View
Source in the browser. That's all the browser and its JavaScript interpreter
know about - your PHP source is out of the picture at that point. Do you see
what's wrong there?

If not, then please post a link to a live test page (not just a code
snippet) and I'm sure someone will be able to spot the problem.

-Mike