Well, here's a bit of a hackish solution, but you basically want to
keep track of what happens when the first batch of Ajax calls
complete.  You do this by specifying functions to be called when the
Ajax calls finish (succeed). http://docs.jquery.com/Ajax/jQuery.ajax#options

Let's say you have three functions in the "first wave" and then you
want to call your data filler:

var counter;

function start_first_wave() {
   counter = 0; // set counter back to zero.
   // trigger ajax calls for first three, specifying 'completed_func'
as the "success" function for the ajax call
}

function completed_func() {
  counter = counter + 1;
  if ( counter == 3 ) {  start_data_filler() }
}

Of course, you'd probably want to name space these, provide for the
case where an AJAX call fails, etc.